Older Blog Posts

Monday, August 29, 2011

Lukewarm

I was going to mention this in my last post, but I forgot. Surprise surprise. :)
I have three roommates, and one of them, Jessica, has been coming with me to all the church events I've been going to. I don't think she's a Christian, but she's definitely a searcher.
This past Saturday, I asked her if she wanted to come to CCF's church service the next morning. She said sure, and then something that really made me start to think. "I need to go to church anyway." she stated. This caught me off-guard. "Why do you feel that you need to go to church?" I asked.
I could tell this caught her off-guard as well.
"Well, it's one of the commandments," was her reply.
I was just astounded by this small conversation we had. Why do people feel like they "need" to attend church, when they don't fully believe what is being taught to them? She grew up with the mindset that she should go to church. Why do some non-Christians try to follow the laws set by God when they don't even love Him?
Is this some kind of innate desire to be people of God, or is it just a mindset passed down from parents?
I don't think there is a clear-cut answer, but I do know what God has to say about it. "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth." -Revelation 3:15-16
Francis Chan, in his book "Crazy Love," suggests that we will not see these people in heaven. It's a shocking thought, but I believe it. God wants all or nothing. I know that I have lukewarm aspects of my life, and that's really something to pray about. I'm especially praying for Jessica, that through the people she meets and the churches she attends that she will be transformed instead of going because it's what she was taught to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment