Older Blog Posts

Friday, November 4, 2011

Cantate Domino

Music absolutely fascinates me.
I've been involved in choir since 7th grade, and now I'm in Truman's chamber choir. Words can't express  how much I'm in love with the sound that beautiful voices make when they come together in a choir. That's not really why I'm writing this, however, but it's to express my thoughts about God and His presence in music. Throughout the past six years, I've been to a ton of choir concerts, and something that never fails to shock me is when public schools with absolutely no religious affiliation sing pieces about God. I don't know why that surprises me like it does; almost all songs composed throughout the centuries have Godly, Biblical meanings. The most beautiful pieces in the entire world are about God. That, to me, is amazing. Nothing moves human beings to create beautiful music more than a relationship with the One who formed us. I'm really at a loss for words right now; God's presence is just so blatantly obvious to me, and the music written about Him is still flourishing not only in the songs sung by his followers, but in the lost as well. He is everywhere, and yet those who do not know Him can sing these pieces while being deaf to their meaning, and clueless as to the weight of their message.

Try listening to this without getting goosebumps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ch7uottHU&list=FLg38iTGrwo713Kikbfz1yEg&index=2&feature=plpp_video

No comments:

Post a Comment